Dermapen is a microneedling treatment that harnesses the skin’s ability to heal itself. Dermapen is used to treat acne scarring, reduce pore size, tighten the skin, and soften fine lines. Topical lidocaine can be prescribed and should be applied 30 minutes before the procedure to reduce discomfort associated with the procedure.
Immediately following the treatment, the skin takes on a “sunburned” appearance, which usually resolves in 1-2 days. It is typical to have pink dots on the skin from pinpoint bleeding. Some patients may even experience mild bruising that usually resolves within one week.
Preparing for Your Appointment
Products to avoid:
- Retinol products and prescription retinoids, such as Retin-A (Tretinoin), Renova, Differin, or Tazorac 24 hours prior
- Accutane 6 months prior
- Botox injection 48 hours before or after
- Injectable fillers (i.e. Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane) 2 weeks before or after
- Autoimmune disease (such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, etc.) or any condition that may weaken the immune system
- History of keloids
- Herpes Simplex (cold sores or fever blisters). An anti-viral medication may be necessary prior to treatment
- Anticoagulant medications (such as Coumadin)